18 apr 2010

Some yellow in a gloomy day...


While the sun is shining in Northern Europe, we experienced a real gloomy Sunday, very near to the typical weather in Milan. As moody weather affects me, I woke up this morning knowing I had to find a way to turn this gray day into something more colourful. So, without hesitation or tutorial searching, I gave myself a try in making stuffed animals.
I'm not very good when it comes to drawing but I always trace animals shapes and I love them. Today, a duck came out of my pencil!


I used some yellow felt and a printed cotton from Ikea I used a few years ago to make curtains. I embroidered the eye, the wing, the beak and a little white tail. Up to that point, huge success! Then, as I am calling myself an ungoddess for a reason, I did the wrong thing while sewing together the two parts... I used a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch because I wanted the sewing to be extra hard but, when I turned it inside out I found that, due to the zigzag, the stitiching was visible... and the beak was nowhere to be found... it stayed on the inside...
I stuffed it with an old Ikea duvet and hand-stitched the opening.


The duck is cute but it is not as beautiful as it was in my mind when I started this project, which is something that happens quite often to me... But I found it to be so relaxing and funny that, with the right amount of reading and searching, I will for sure be back soon with some other stuffed animal! Any links n this topic you'd like to share? Advice? Experiences?

1 commento:

Anonimo ha detto...

So cute! You're brave for making your own pattern and all! I've made a few stuffed animals but always needed a pattern.